Tuesday, June 16, 2015

What To Wear To PIR Lookbook

I get asked all the time "What do I wear!?" "Is it dressy or more casual?" It seems like a silly thing to worry about when you have a million other things going on. But then you realize...."Shit, I haven't seem him (or her) in 2 months I have to look good!" So I threw together a lookbook of just a couple different outfit ideas.


Any of these looks can have a sweater, blazer or jacket and accessories added to them to spice them up! And can be modified to work a woman of ANY age!

MEN: You have it easy!
Summer
Khaki Pants, slacks, even a nice pair of shorts like golf shorts, if you can pull them off.
Polo or button down shirt
A nice pair of summer shoes. Like, boat shoes or loafers. Not your dirty beach flip flops.

Spring/Autumn
Khaki Pants, slacks or Dark Jeans
Button down shirt (sleeves rolled up or down), Polo, sweater
and a nice pair of shoes or leather boots

Winter
Khaki Pants, Dark Jeans, Corduroys
Button down short and or a sweater
and a nice pair of boots or shoes.

One thing you have to keep in mind is the weather. I grew up in the Midwest and lived in Great Lakes, IL for about 8 months. So, unfortunately, I know the weather very well. Spring is cool and rainy and green. The summers are hot and the beginning of autumn can be pretty warm too. The middle of autumn is cool, comfortable and pretty with the changing leaves, but it does get cold towards the end. Winter is cold, very, VERY cold. Like negative degrees cold. So as much as you may want to wear that cute little dress and heels, if its January, that's probably not going to happen.

If your PIR falls in the colder months you're going to want a warm coat, gloves and a hat! If you live somewhere warm, definitely look online for a winter jacket. Department stores like JcPenney, Macy's or Nordstrom usually have winter coats on their websites all year round. The one I wore was similar to a pea coat, but rather thin, so I threw a sweater on to add a layer which was useful because it was cold in there.

A few points I'd like to add.

  • Dresses and skirts are perfect but don't go too short. After all it IS a ceremony and there is a lot of walking. Not to mention the bleachers. Fairly high bleachers. So unless you want a whole division of guys and gals getting a free show....I'd opt for a little bit longer.
  • Jeans are OK! As long as they're NICE, dark wash jeans! American Eagle always has good prices or check out TJ MAXX. Or a nice pair of slacks or black skinny jeans would be perfect.
  • Shoes! The shoes you choose are important! You know your feet and what you're comfortable with. There is a lot of walking. And keep in mind, Great Lakes has seasons! So there may be rain, snow or ice....even all 3. It happens, trust me! So bring a few options in your suitcase; some boots, flats/sandals and low heels or wedges. 
At the end of the day you know your style and what you like. The truth is that people wear anything and everything! I saw acid wash jeans and old t-shirts. I also saw fancy dresses and suits. I would shoot for somewhere in the middle of the two. Something cute and comfortable that you might wear on a first date. Or something you would wear to the office if you want to look particularly nice that day.

Don't go spending a ton of money buying an entire new outfit. Go through what you have first, you may have the perfect outfit and not even know it!

Its a long day and you have to get up super early, so above all make sure you're comfortable!

4 comments:

  1. My sons PIR is 11/22 in GL and well this helped ME out alot and i personally wanted to let you know how grateful i am for it

    TY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :) I'm glad it helped. I know I get anxiety when I have to go somewhere and I have NO idea what to pack/wear.

      Delete
  2. My daughter’s PIR is next month. This was very helpful, as I had no idea if I needed to dress formal or casual. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This question may be dumb but, for handicap accessible. Would i contact GL or do they send papers to let you know when to go or what to do?

    ReplyDelete